Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lewis Hamilton to Mercedes GP - Is it True

Go down

Lewis Hamilton to Mercedes GP - Is it True Empty Lewis Hamilton to Mercedes GP - Is it True

Post by ChaperalSA Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:31 am

Lewis Hamilton is on the verge of leaving McLaren to drive for Mercedes next season, according to BBC F1 chief analyst Eddie Jordan.

The former team boss says Hamilton will replace Michael Schumacher, who will retire from driving for a second time at the end of the year.

"I believe Hamilton and Mercedes have already agreed personal terms and a deal could be imminent," Jordan said.

In a statement Mercedes said they "do not comment on speculation".

But they added: "Until we are in a position to confirm our full driver line-up for next season, it is inevitable that there will be speculation around this topic."

A McLaren spokesman said: "We have been told by Lewis Hamilton's management team that the story is untrue.

"Negotiations between Lewis Hamilton and McLaren [over a new contract] continue."

Continue reading the main story
“It would appear Michael [Schumacher] is leaving and Lewis is arriving at Mercedes”

Eddie Jordan

Hamilton's management team XIX Entertainment also released a statement, saying: "As mentioned in the past by all parties, we are in advanced discussions with McLaren about a new deal.

"More importantly, at the moment, Lewis is focused on Monza [this weekend's Italian Grand Prix] and competing strongly for the championship."

F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone hinted last Sunday that Schumacher was retiring.

Ecclestone told Jordan on BBC One: "I'm sorry that he's leaving us not being a winner, because he is a winner."

Asked if he knew whether Schumacher was retiring, Ecclestone added: "I don't know, I don't know."

Confronted with Ecclestone's comments, Schumacher insisted after Sunday's Belgian Grand Prix that he had not yet decided on his future.

"As I told [Ecclestone] yesterday I had not made a decision," said the German.

Jordan said he had since been investigating the situation and believed Hamilton, who has yet to agree a new deal to remain with McLaren, was on his way to Mercedes to replace Schumacher.
ChaperalSA
ChaperalSA

Back to top Go down